Thursday 11 October 2007

Using Design to Tell The Story

I came across this infomercial (is that word still used?)/movie thing at hypediss. It's about a new skate shoe by éS.



I'm digging this movie for two reason's.

First one? It gave me the feeling that I understood what skating was about. Now I'm not a skater (I used to be when I was younger though, rockin' my 'caballero street') but this short movie really seems on the spot like an idols contestant and boy does it deliver. The music, light, feeling...the whole shabang. I believed it.

So now for the second reason. I really liked the design of the shoe. The colours I find pretty nasty to be honest, as if someone dipped the tip in OJ and decided that this was going to be it. Tadaa!
But these colours actually told the story of the development of the product. So besides this being a shoe wíth a story, through its colours it actually tells that story at the same time! Now that's some smart thinking mister!

Off course not every grandma, city banker or homeless dude in the world will now think, 'hey that young skater punk is wearing the lightest sakteshoe around', but the target group will probably know the story behind it and that's the most important right?

Anyone knows any other products that use a similar trick? Should be interesting.

PieterM

PS Check out the shoe collection behind this guy, wtf? Looks like Kanye can't tell this guy nothing...

No comments: